from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
The world today is definately not a paradise. Hunger, abuse, poverty, pollution and other dangers are all too common. Granted, the world never has and probably never will be perfect, but that is no excuse to not try. YOU can help to create a better world for the future. And it's not as hard as you think...
- Volunteer - It's not just about working in a soup kitchen or visiting the old folks' home. Today anyone can volunteer to do anything! Contact the local volunteer organisations in your area.
- Get Passionate - Start a petition, donate money, support a charity, fundraise, be an advocate. Choose a cause and get passionate about it! Visit Google and search for your cause. Or check out common causes like:
- Recycle - It's not something only hippies do! Anyone can recycle, and these days just about anything can be recycled—from newspapers and plastic, to computers and old mobile (cell) phones. Encourage your school or workplace to recycle and to use recycled products.
- Pay It Forward - Seen the movie? Well, just like Haley Joel Osment, you can help others by "paying it forward." Simply do something nice for 3 people (or, preferably, more and with no limit), without being asked, and in return, tell them to do the same to 3 more people. And so on and so on. Imagine if everyone followed through with this and what kind of world it would be!
- Do not harm the individual - Imagine a society where every single person did not look to harm another individual. You wouldn't have to lock your doors at night and self-defense would be a thing of the past. You may think one person cannot make a difference. The whole world is just six billion individuals. Just think, you may inspire someone to be like you and start a chain reaction!
- Donate Blood - Many countries (especially Australia, Britain, Canada, and the United States) frequently experience record lows of blood stores and desperately need more people to donate. It only takes about half an hour and doesn't hurt (much!). Visit Red Cross for more info.
- Buy a Wristband - They are all the rage in Hollywood, with lots of celebs sporting the most recent fashion accessory—a charity wristband. Not only do they look cool, they're cheap and they're a great way to do your bit for your favourite cause.
- Support animal welfare - After all, animals are God's creations, too, and they should not have to suffer! Donate to the ASPCA!
- Be an Advocate - Speak up about injustices in the world and get your friends involved, too. Organise fundraisers to help raise money for your chosen charity or cause. And if you can't raise money, just add your voice to those already campaigning to end poverty, war, injustice, sexism, racism, or corruption in the world.
- Become an Organ Donor - You won't need your organs when you are dead, so why not give them to someone who can make good use of them? Save the lives of up to eight people by placing yourself on the organ donors' register in your country. Talk about the decision with your family and let them know your wishes.
- Laugh and Smile - Many believe that laughter is the best medicine you can get. Not only that, but people who are happy are often more healthy and are lots more fun to be around! Sharing a smile and a laugh with someone is easy, completely free, and may just make somebody's day!
- Anyone can change the world; all it takes is a little time, effort and dedication!
- The Internet is a great place to find information about charities and causes to sponsor/support.
- Spread the word. Get your friends involved. The more the better!
- Find exciting and fun ways to change the world. Volunteering is not only a great way to help those less fortunate but you might also make some great new friends!
- Even if you are broke, there are lots of ways you can help to make the world a better place.
- If at first you don't succeed. Try, try, and try again (and again!)
- People will say you are beating a dead horse. They will tell you that you are wasting your time, that you're an idiot for trying. Don't listen to them. It's because of people like that that the world needs to be changed in the first place!
- Use caution when following laws; recent (and not-so-recent) history has shown certain governing bodies to be somewhat untrustworthy. Instead of rigidly following laws set by politicians, cautiously develop your own "laws" on what moral behavior truly is, following a few guidelines:
- -It is never acceptable to hurt anybody.
- -The action which results in the greatest good is the one which is truly "lawful."
- -Never impose your laws on anybody until they fully understand them. If their understanding is complete, the law will be superfluous anyway.
Things You'll Need
- A desire to help others
- A desire to change the world
- Money (if you wish to financially support a charity or cause)
Sources and Citations
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to Change the World in 10 Ways. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.